Wednesday, September 22, 2010

making life your own...just like the weeds

I didn't stay where I was planted. Like a bit of pollen, or a helicopter blowing in the wind, I went elsewhere. I touched down in many different places. Lived in many different places and worked many different jobs. I've enjoyed - at some point- most every experience. What I've tried to do is to not let where I lived or work define me. For some reason the idea of that always bothered me.

I'm a weed. The pretty kind that adorns the un-kept bit of green space. I confuse you into thinking I'm a flower but I'm not a flower at all. Flowers require high maintenance, constant care, and are sure to wilt and die. They are beautiful. They're not confusing and few will intentionally try to do away with them as they hope to keep them for ever. Some even after they're beauty is gone end up pressed in a book for memories sake. The weed on the other hand has it moments. They can be pretty. They can be annoying. They can be invasive. And many will try to do away with them. They can be confusing to the eye...weed/flower, weed/flower? They are strong and determined. Their roots often run deep and are tangled. At times they choke out the beauty around them other times they lend their own beauty to the scenery. God made both the flower and the weed. I am a weed.

I didn't get put in a pot or planter. I wasn't planted and cared for. Rather I spread my wings and flew. I've landed many times and in many places. I have a town that I grew up in. A school I graduated from. Colleges I've attended. Towns I've lived in. I have a 1st home and a current home. I'm a part of a different community than the one that I "grew up" in. So many people I grew up with have never left. Never felt a desire to. Including many from my own family. THIS is why many don't get me. Lack of growth.

I'm cool with growing old so long as I keep on growing. Intellectually, spiritually, personally, I hope to forever keep growing. Spreading my horizons. New experiences, always new acquaintances and if lucky a new friend or two. Just like a pretty weed I hope to make you curious. I hope you take another look at the real me.

There are a lot of us weeds out there...put the weed killer down, it doesn't work that well anyway, and take the time to enjoy the beauty. For God made the weeds too.

No comments: