Those of you who know me know that I tend to be pretty connected to my FB. For days this was the only place I saw anything regarding the events of that day. And then it happened what I knew would eventually come and what I had purposely tried to avoid. A FB friend had shared a link with a news reporter who had asked "Where was God when the tragedy in Newtown happened?" :/ I posted a status prompted by this question and stating that the question angered and saddened me at the same time.
I get angered because inevitably it seems as though the media when in times of heart ache and tragedy want to question believers as to where their God was and/or why He would let such horrors occur. This seems to be the only time the want to include God. As though they see it as an opportunity to point out His limits, inabilities, or lack of Love. In a sense mocking anyone who would believe in, be faithful to or be in a relationship with a being that would tolerate such heinous acts against innocent people. I become saddened because of the ignorance of the individual who questions and the emitted ignorance thrust upon others. I am saddened because their is an obvious lack of a relationship is God and His son, Jesus Christ.
My question would be less about 'where was God?', but rather 'where are you with God?'.
My grandma and mom both would tell me whenever I opted to point the finger at someone else in the form of blame, that I needed to be aware I had 3 pointing back at myself. This point of view serves as a reminder. It reminds me that I have a role, some form of responsibility for things that occur. As a believer my responsibility is to be constantly nurturing my relationship with God. Seeking more of Him. As a result of my beliefs and growing relationship, faithfulness blooms. I know, faithfully that He will not forsake me. He will get me through. He will forgive when I disappoint. He will love UNCONDITIONALLY.
These children, their families, the community didn't deserve what happened to them. But from the beginning of time good and evil have coexisted. From the start we have choices. How sad when evil prevails even for a moment. With that said, how AWESOME that there will be a day that those families can be reunited.
I get excited at the glory that God will receive as He is invited into lives, for hope, comfort, reassurance. I get excited at the works He will orchestrate in the aftermath of this event. I can do so based on my own experiences. I am comforted knowing Jesus loves the little children and they are all welcome into His kingdom. The comfort comes from where I am with God.
Based on my relationship with Him my heart aches for the young man who acted out. I ache for his family for they lost a brother, mother and are marred with the horrors he acted out. Their family was just as innocent as those whose lives he took. I can only hope prior to the taking of his own life he asked for forgiveness.
So where are you with God? He's eager to be with you.


No comments:
Post a Comment