I am convinced that our schools are in total need of an overhaul. (I'm just say'n) Teachers are overloaded not only with ever changing standards but with student/teacher ratio. I've just recently returned to the "outside" world and by that I mean I'm no longer working in or at a school. However during my time in the schools my eyes were opened to just how flawed they seem to be.
Educators get so frustrated with children so quickly, children seem to be more frustrated vs. inspired by educators I have to wonder where the WIN is in all of this. For starters IN MY OPINION, class sizes are too large! It is difficult for teachers to: 1. get the classes attention, 2. keep the classes attention, 3. know their students needs, learning styles, etc... 4. they too have organizational issues ie: can't find the papers I've just graded, what did I do with today's assignment, I didn't get enough (or any) copies made, the papers are not YET graded. It's difficult for our students to: 1. not be distracted by the other 25 +/- people talking or moving about, 2. stay on top of all 7 different classes, assignment, test, quizzes, expectations, rules, etc...3. efficiently manage their time, 5-min., to - get to locker, switch out books, get necessities for next class, use the restroom and the one thing they're most focused on (because THEY'RE KIDS) talking to their friends.
For the most part the educators (adults) are only teaching 1 subject matter with a few exceptions yet I've witnesses many experience the same downfalls that their students do on a daily basis...the difference - no consequence. They've ran out of paper, assignments, pencils, chalk...they've been late to class, gotten off topic,...Lucky for them they're an adult, they're educated, they have the luxury to be disorganized, set their own time frame for returning works handed in, for recording grades. They can criticize the child, take a way a privilege, issue a "mark" and dock a grade all over one incident...& then repeat for the next incident.
Now I know human nature is to only talk about the "bad stuff" but it concerns me when dialogue with my children (& other children) only brings up the negative. And I do ask for the positives...especially with my own kids...unfortunately those positive reinforcements have been (IMO) issued sparingly. So, assuming it perhaps was a problem with my own, I asked if anyone was lauded for anything...and generally, typically the answer is "no". How disappointing.
Now here is where I wish I could say the kids, my own included are off base. But also being an adult, somewhat educated (although NOT a teacher, or counselor as it's been pointed out to me) I've witnessed what I will refer to as a double standard from our educational system & many educators (not all - so if you are exempt from any "offense" I've mentioned good for you - if not, well...you're probably offended...as am I). I want so badly to believe in our system - because it is in place, because it inspired me, because it has to work! Our children, their well being, education, self-esteem, character, minds are all being impacted, molded, and either built up or torn down. Seven, 7 hours a day - 5 days a week - that's 35 hours they're in a setting that should inspire, encourage, teach, explore, and build them up. As it is one teacher to 25 +/- kids in a classroom setting it at too great of risk for: failing or leaving a child behind...if not educationally then perhaps emotionally.
I am a parent who cares. I respect our educators and the task they've taken on. What I have trouble respecting is how the system has replaced heart, concern, relationships, with statistics. I don't like the trickle down effect that I see come from many of our educators because of the shift in focus. How nice would it be to have a child look forward to their 'work' day? To know that for the next 7hrs/5days they were going to become inspired. How awesome would it be if the ones doing the inspiring still had that fire in their belly to get to make a difference?
Times are changing, society & the educational system require from our children more & more. All the while wondering why, there's not time with family, (for all involved). We ask that the kids behave like little adults -as that's their job responsibility. We issue a consequence for not being prepared - if it's a good day only one consequence, if not be prepared to pay dearly...because NEXT time, should there be one you'll really get to pay...as the infraction will remain with you & follow you...building up and becoming a mountain too big to climb. (IMO - this is where the student gives up!).
I send in to the school meds. for my child to have as needed/when necessary; on the same token I buy my child school supplies for them to have as needed. The meds. are kept in the office where they will need to go to receive it...the school supplies are kept in the "gifted" locker, where they'll also need to go get it...HOWEVER, not w/o a consequence in most cases. I just don't get the logic.
I get preparedness, I get organization, I get deadlines & due dates, I get responsibility...what I don't get is in tolerance, double jeopardy. I know many adults who struggle with all the above...educators & non educators, I myself am one of them. I know the schools feel compelled to get them ready for the next step, for the next level, for the real world...but just how real are they being. In the real world organization for most is a work in progress, ever changing to the situation and individual. In the real world deadlines & due dates should be kept & often times must be kept...and as ADULTS we learn how to keep those - some better than others. But I feel certain nothing I was taught or experienced in a school setting paved the way for my successfully meeting said deadline/due date. Responsibility grows, changes, as does the way it is handed out in life. My responsibilities are different from yours. We want our children to be responsible citizens...how about modeling this character. You know what they say...a picture is worth a 1000 words. Let the children see what it is too be a good citizen...caring about others, lifting up, empowering...doing away with double standards. In the real world you can only be punished for a crime 1 time.
I'm sure I've struck a chord…hit the proverbial nerve, but I just needed to vent...to get it out there. These are our children...their classes are too large, our teachers are too burdened, our children are slipping away...My kids are lucky...their parents are here for them, they're involved, they care, they fight for them, they believe in a good education...but what about the ones who are not so lucky? Why is society so afraid to care...to allow others to care? to allow our educators to do what they were once inspired to do. 'Burnout' on the part of the educator isn't inspiring to anyone. Complacency on the part of a school system should not be tolerated. There's more to a good education than grades, test scores, statistics, & classroom results...perhaps it's the 'other stuff' that schools should do a self-evaluation on...or better yet allow the students to evaluate their setting, their education...issuing their own grade card if you will.
It's all just my opinion...
*IMO= in my opinion
One more thing...it's my rule that if I say something negative I must also say something positive...So here it goes. We do have good educators, caring ones! And I've spoken to many who have also shared their concern and disappointment. It is good to know that there are still some who get it. Who continue day in/out to lift up the children, to inspire them to some how reach those who've been deemed unreachable. (I've even had the privilege to work with some) It's good to know there are educators who too feel cheated by the system and daily try to do something about it. ...who don't give up or in for that matter. It's comforting to know that at some point through out my child’s day the cloud will drift away...they'll be engaged, challenged, encouraged...I suppose here is where one might say "some is better than none". I'm thankful for those who believe in our children. The job of an educator if often a thankless one...as they too are often just the "messenger" and have been put into a situation where they must follow their job as outlined by the administration, board, state & nation. If only all the political correctness could be left out of it.


No comments:
Post a Comment