Monday, May 10, 2010

the day after Mothers Day....


Perhaps I'm to blame. There are certain Holidays I look forward to celebrating. I like the meaning behind them. But the celebration needs to be done properly. It's not about getting to host the event. It's not about the who the holiday was spent with last year. I like that at Christmastime weather you're a follower of Christ or not you're aware that there is a large number of people who choose to celebrate the birth of their savior. I like that at Thanksgiving our country reflects on the blessings that have come our way because our ancestors were brave and persevered. I enjoy the 4th of July. Again a holiday that celebrates our successful break from England to become our own nation! (not to mention my birthday) Easter is another favorite. Again the focus is on my RISEN Savior.

The other holidays are just sub par if you ask me. Valentines day to celebrate love, Mothers day to celebrate moms, Fathers day to celebrate dads, St. Patrick's day to celebrate....???? New Years day not much of a celebration but rather a kick off of a new year as I see it love should be celebrated daily if your lucky enough to give/receive it. As far as mom's & dad's go, why must we be told or strongly suggested to celebrate them? Myself, a mom included.

As a mother I'd much rather have my children sing my praises on a generic day. There's something about the unprompted hug, kiss, "thanks mom" that means so much more than receiving those sentiments on a nationally recognized day. Having my husband thank me for being his wife, helpmate, and mother to his children on a non mom holiday means far more to me.

Now, some might think that this post is prompted by a not so great Mothers day for mwah. And that's debatable. My daughter wished me a Happy day and posted something very kind on my Facebook. For her this was quite exceptional. Like her father she's not one to show much emotion. I spent mothers day doing the following, church with my in-laws, dinner at the country club, visiting at their home & then returned home with my family. As I sat in church I thanked God for my mother-in-law, for with out her I wouldn't have been blessed with my husband and consequently with my children. I also thanked God for blessing me with motherhood. If you would've asked me in my early years I would've said no to the whole marriage & kids thing. His plan was definitely better.

Now for my personal struggle...celebrating the parents. My parents. I give thanks to them because I'm here. But I struggle in many of what should be other areas for thanking and appreciating parents. I hate that I have this battle and pray that someday it will be resolved. God can do all things.

As I embark on a new path for my life I hope to find a bit of success at being a mom. I've managed a bit of success in many other avenues of my life but none have been more important than the one that I've decided to concentrate on and that is being Mom and Wife. Soon that will be my only job. My sole focus. Certainly a job I don't want to fail at. I am thankful for the other examples that have been given to me. Hopefully with all I've been through, witnessed and experienced I'll find a bit of success along the way. God called me to this and His plan is perfect. And I thank him for my blessing...Kathryn & Matthew!

Happy today! to everyone.

1 comment:

thepaperroSe said...

always enjoy reading your posts! I agree...I love being a mom.....my kids are grown, but, still love to pick up the phone and first thing I hear is "Mom....." It is an awesome responsibility....no matter the age!