Thursday, May 6, 2010

Well today is the National Day of Prayer. Ironically in our youth studies we're discussing Prayer and it's purpose. I'm not a fancy smancy prayer. My words are simple as they reflect my heart. I don't know if God prefers fancy over simple, I hope not. I really never realized how awkward some people feel about praying. I know there've been times when I've prayed allowed and felt as though I've stumbled all over myself. I tend to send up spontaneous prayers. I talk to God all throughout the day giving thanks for the beauty around me, my family, and for the many blessings He has bestowed on me. I also expresses the areas I feel weak in and need His intervention, grace, love or just His presence. I'll have cares pop into my head for friends and family that I lift up not to mention the requests for prayer from friends, acquaintances, family for a specific situation. I don't have an alter in my home. I'm so ADD I feel challenged to be quiet for to long meditating and conversing with God. My mind just doesn't shut down. I'm not sure what's right or wrong but I feel assured God knows my heart. So I challenge you like I did our youth to pray. Talk to your Creator. Awkward, eloquent, thankful, or broken I encourage you to establish a relationship a conversation with the Almighty invite him in and to hang out with you today. :) God is good, all the time! God is good!!

What a beautiful start to May we've had here in Swayzee! Gorgeous sunny days. Cool gentle breezes. And spring storms that have seem to be just right. I don't know when I've seen skies so blue. I picked up some seeds at our local Big R and can't wait to get them into the ground...or rather for them to produce their promised bounty so that I can't enjoy!

I feel I've become a bit of a food critic. I'm not surprised really as it's a habit that the Van Ness men have had for as long as I can remember. It's become such a part of the make up of our family that it's somewhat humorous. When Matthew was 9 he walked uptown to go to the convenience store for a doughnut. I was beginning to get worried as it was taking him much longer than I thought necessary. Just as I was leaving to go in search of, he came in through the front door and proceeded to give a full review a the "new" place in town Socials Cafe. It had just reopened. Come to find out the eggs & toast were "really good" but the milk, not so much. He would've like to have tried some of the other items but Milk, Eggs & Toast were all he had money for. He liked the new interior decor stating it felt "homey" and "the white paint make it really bright & clean". It came highly recommended as a breakfast spot. I couldn't help but chuckle at him and the details & critiques he was offering up. Not to mention the image of him sitting there, all by himself at age 9. I'm grateful CPS wasn't called in. lol! Well, as many know I work at a local restaurant call the Chuck Wagon. It's a pizza joint located in Swayzee, IN. I was introduced to the Chuck Wagon shortly after it opened 21 years ago. I've been a fan of their pizza ever since. I'm a fan of pizza! (understatement) It's a safe food in my opinion. There's been a bit of debate in this little area of the state called Grant County about who serves up the best pizza in the county. The local paper has a ballot inside their periodical every year. And the process is a write in process as opposed to a choose from the following scenario. I challenge the results. Brooks' Upper Crust was awarded best Pizza in the county. I've dinned there many times and it's been pretty good. But! The Chuck Wagon pizza has more flavor. Recent experience at Brooks entailed a pizza that was 1/2 deluxe and 1/2 Hawaiian. The layer of cheese was about 1/8" thick, solid leaving the ingredients underneath luke warm. It was lacking in sauce and the sauce that was on it just didn't have any kind of 'kick'. Zero Italian flare rather just tomatoey. Two days later we went to a new pizza joint in a neighboring town. I was told the pizza would be similar to an "Arnies" pizza or Pizza Kings. This pizza was good but almost seemed to be in a separate category. We ordered the large Deluxe. This large was 14" and the deluxe was make up of 5 toppings: cheese, chunky Italian sausage, chopped pepperoni, onion & green peppers all for $17.99. Now the price & size alone was a bit of a shock & disappointment. Very expensive from what I've experienced at other pizza joints. The pizza itself was a thin crust. It was also "thin" if you will on the toppings and sauce. It was good but far short of great. I have to give the award for value,
toppings, taste to the Chuck Wagon. With little to no advertising and 21 years in the business they're doing it right. If you know of a pizza place anywhere in the state let me know I'd love to try it out! Actually any place that offers up great cuisine. I'm always up for a road trip & good food!

Demo has started at our house in Amboy! Word on the street is it should be done by the end of June...2010 I hope! lol. Kids are well, Andy is good and I'm ... pretty ok to for the most part. Just working through things in my head & heart. Decisions are not my forte'! I pray for clarity and strength to make the best decision.

Hopefully soon I'll be posting updates & pictures on our home remodel. I am so excited to get it going full swing. I've asked that it all be done by September! A very ambitious goal but doable with HIRED HELP! (please let there be hired help! lol) The plan: wall down in family room, making a great room, restroom full remodel, 2 walls down in kitchen & widen door way into kitchen from family room, NEW kitchen!!!! :), new flooring in dining room, living room, office, new carpet stairway & upstairs hall & game room, upstairs hall re plastered, bathroom shower repaired, laundry relocated upstairs, closets built. Not to mention all new windows and possibly central air! A long long long list but I feel once the ball is rolling it'll get done! I have FAITH! now all I need is a carpenter.
tee hee hee!

So enjoy your day. Thanks for reading and don't forget to say a prayer! Feel free to include me in that prayer for my decision making and projects!

2 comments:

thepaperroSe said...

ok...I am confused...are you moving to amboy..or is the remodel here in lovely swayzee?

kelly van ness said...

We are staying in Swayzee & remodeling BOTH Amboy house & Swayzee Home! UGH! feel free to pray for us! lol