Monday, January 9, 2012

Van Ness Academy.....enrollment 1

Here at the Van Ness Academy we will start our day out with a hug.  We will learn and laugh and repeat the process.  We will discuss and debate.  We will motivate and challenge.  We will encourage one another. 

You see, the decision to open the Van Ness Academy wasn't really a hard one to make.  As a parent you want the best for your child.  And I for one feel that only the parent of that child can make that best decision.  Other parents, family and friends I'm sure might have you interest at heart, but ultimately only the parent can make the best decision. 

Choosing to not conform isn't a bad thing.  As a matter of fact it's a great thing! God has set us apart.  Has said to not be of this world.  Yet, this is the world we reside in.  With all it's beauty and good there is also ugly and bad.  And the ugly and bad will undoubtedly take it's toll over time.  To what extent varies with each individual. 

Matt's request to be home schooled isn't an escape route.  Rather it's one made so that he can be the BEST Matthew possible. And I thank God for allowing me to be able to clearly with out pause to be able to grant his wish.  In addition speaking through Pastor Walker Sunday morning casting out any doubts should they exist.  And he did so with these points :
  • There is no fear in love....
  • Do you feel like others are against you? ....Gods favor is upon you, therefore don't feel that way
  • God will intercede in your life and bless you
  • This is My commandment to love one another.
I love my son, and my God thus I have no fear in the path that is put before us.  When I asked Matt if he felt as though others were against him, he said at times.  Yet he knows he has purpose.  Given the chain of events that led up to our ultimate decision, I felt with great certainty that God interceded in our life, that moment and gave us reason & clarity.  And the final bullet point, ....ironically, it's what has confounded my son all along.  How do people just not love one another.  Really, is kindness all that difficult to muster? 

It's as though a breath from heaven has breathed new life into a young man who was caught up in a tide pool.  For that alone I praise the Lord. 

We certainly are not going with the grain here, no longer a part of the team, no longer a traditional student, but confident in who we are and what it is God would have us do. 

I've said many times on FB that this year would be full of change.  I've challenged others to be the change they want to see in others.  And I've been called to the task of being/doing just that.  The irony, hanging in the jr. high that my son attended is a banner that says "stand up for what's right even if you're standing alone", our twist...."standing up for what's right now has me standing at home." 

No comments: