Wednesday, May 30, 2012

EOM ....juggling!

Due to the increased prices of EVERYTHING!, I have found myself trying to be a bit more frugal.  Not that we're experiencing any kind of notable financial crisis, but simply because prices are just too damn high!  I'm so over the smaller packaging (that is still only half full) and the ridiculous increase in goods.  I haven't the storage or freezer space necessary to successfully do bulk purchases or take advantage of the 10 for 10 days at meijer, and thanks to my pampered family couponing is next to impossible. (they're a very brand specific bunch)

You see I shop, really shop only 2 times a month on Andy's payday.  In addition we are participants in Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace (which works people!).  4- years into this recover/repair/replenish/reward! program if you will, thus I have a certain budget for my shopping endeavors.  A budget that was set 4 years ago...and has only seemed to take hit after hit from what is becoming a scary, pathetic market. 

I have began to gauge my success at shopping based on my need prior to those much anticipated pay days!  For instance, food is I'd say in the yellow as we're good on many "filler" items, but lacking on meat this time.  Not completely out but just enough of it to cause me to be uber creative.  (yay pinterest & allrecipes.com)  Thus I can conclude that my last shopping experience was pretty on the mark with my meal planning and stock up options.  (yay me!)  The only area crying out for rationing is the bathroom, as the toilet paper has reached a critical level.  We're talking approaching code RED! Just this morning I had to send the munchkins into the depths of their bedrooms to do a 'roll search'.  (roll search=retrieving the rolls taken to the bedside while suffering from allergies)  Success was ours as Matthew was able to produce what appeared to be 3/4 of a roll!  PTL!  We're good for another day.   I hope.

Only 2 tragedies over the course of the 2 weeks as well.  One loaf of bread (darn mold) and a banana that became covered up by paper (go figure) and opted to skip the ripe stage and go straight for rotten.  blech.  I was able to make most all of the meals planned for, left overs were minimal and didn't last long. And in addition had just what I needed to feed the crew that helped Andy to begin the siding process on the house in Amboy.  Not too bad. 

Shopping day is tomorrow.  And I look forward to it.  Tonight I will be surfing Pinterest, Allrecipes.com and any other food source I can come up with for menu ideas and healthier eating options.  It happens every June, eating habits will be altered in an attempt to be a bit more fit on the inside and boost the energy.  In addition I look forward to seeing a full basket of toilet paper.  For when I see it in the state it is approaching, I have a tendency to panic. 

So here's to me trying to beat the system and get the absolute most for my money, eating more healthily and breathing a sigh of relief that I'll be able to take care of any paper work that might come up!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You would not believe the toilet tissue and paper toweling we have stocked up. I mean REALLY!!! The top of the freezer in the garage is full to the ceiling. Every available filled, all stocked up on laundry soap, hand soap, bleach, you name it as well as cases of food. Yep, my husband told me last fall to stock up as he said everything was going sky high. I have more hair shampoo than anyone can use in a year, etc, etc,. Aren't you glad you didn't marry a frugal farmer? I'm sure some things will be become out dated since we don't eat that much any more.....however have been able to give some away. Oh yes, don't forget kleenex, you name it, I've got it.

Anonymous said...

should have been "every available shelf in garage and house is full. We get teased about all the paper we have stored.