Round tables are the best. No defined space, no Head of the table, no one "squared off" against another, just a continual circle. Often a circle of friends.
Whenever we dine out I prefer to sit at a round table however they're not easy to come by. But there's just something about them that makes the experience of dining with others that much more pleasant. Everyone is joined together. Everyone is visible. Everyone is easily heard. Spaces overlap adding to the feeling of community if you will.
Round tables are often found in kitchens where family and friends gather. It's that table that is often the heart of the home. That table bares witness to many conversations, homework assignments, board games & meals. It endures spills, scratches, & clutter. But its most awesome super power is it's ability to bring people together. For a time. For food, fellowship and fun.
Just last week I stopped by a friends house to drop of some chocolates. My daughter & I were immediately invited in whisked away to the kitchen where we unexpectedly and welcoming-ly were asked to join them at their table. It was a busy time for my friend but the table exerted it super power and all four of us girls were soon seated, munching nachos, taste testing cookies, and my favorite....laughing. We talked, ate, talked, laughed, talked, and ate. Stories were told. Memories revisited. Tears shed (happy ones). And friendships fed. As was the soul.
For a time all else stopped....and friendships were fed.
There's a lot of power in table talk. Round table talk is (in my opinion) the best. Thank you to my friend for the welcome and the time. I was reminded of a time (back in the day) when "visiting" happened. I had almost forgotten about it. Today is always full of schedules, and time constraints. So much so that I truly believe that perhaps that is a contributing factor to the demise of so many families and friendships. No one has time to stop, sit at the round table and talk.
Pull up a chair why don't ya. Sit a spell and let's visit.


2 comments:
Great thoughts Kelley. I think I'll get my old antique out again. I'm using my grandmothers but it is square and seats 16, but I loved my round table. It came from the Liberty School, where no one wanted it. It had been painted into open grain, bright pink no less. I spent hours and hours refinishing it and it went so far as to take a needle and picked the left over paint that was still in the grain. I was working on it the day Kennedy was killed. That is how I remember that.
I bet that table is beautiful! I love a round table, like I said. It's funny how something so trivial can bring about so many feelings. Would love to see that table sometime.
Post a Comment