Sunday, September 23, 2012

The devil made me do it....perhaps.

I grew up with a father who had quite the ornery sense of humor.  "The devil made me do it" was one of the tag lines from one of his favorite comedians.  That very line would serve as my excuse for many of my actions, thoughts, and words.  As I 've gotten a bit older but primarily as my relationship with God has grown the saying "The devil made me do it" resonates in a much different manner.  It both saddens and scares me.

I find myself being much more cognizant of my feelings, words and actions and the effect they might have on another.  I try to be the 'change' I want to see in/from others.  I try to treat others as I would like to be treated.  And yet there are those times that I fail.  My thoughts are hateful, hurtful and sadden me.   I struggle with how to handle them because often times they're the very type of thought that I despise in others.  It's then I begin to wonder if perhaps "the devil made me do it".  Or am I just human?

Today has been one of those days.  To be on the safe side I've informed the devil he has no place in my life so he needs to move on! In addition, I've had to beg for my Gods forgiveness for my mean spirit.

Time to turn it around.

No comments: