Thursday, August 8, 2013

She's here! :)  What a whir-wind of a week!  For all involved!  9 days ago we decided to host an exchange student. Were discouraged that our school would likely not accept anymore at this time, became hopeful again that it was going to happen and 8 days ago received confirmation we were a go!  Much paperwork, many phone calls, a home inspection, a beautiful young lady form a 1/2 a world away made her way to the USA and into our home as well as our hearts!

Prior to her arrival we were able to connect on FB and even video chat with one another!  Family to family!  I can only begin to imagine the anxiety her parents are experiencing!  A school year is a long time and the distance is great when someone you love dearly is gone.  I feel happy that we were able to talk because I so wanted to help calm their nerves so that they might experience a sense of peace. 

Almost home: (in the USA)

Ft. Wayne Int'l airport arrival 4:16 (30 min late mind you) pm.  She's here!  I quickly glanced at my own family and self included the smiles were ear to ear!  I greeted her with a huge hug (of course) and she gave each of us one in return!  and then the tears!  Of joy, relief, excitement, everything all bubbling up and over!  All the while with the biggest smile I've ever seen!  Even through the exhaustion she managed to talk the whole way home!  The kids gave her a quick tour of the property, a 4-wheel ride, moved her bed, and she presented her gifts!  Supper included a couple of firsts!  She had both pizza- without cheese first as she doesn't care for dairy, but said she would try a piece with cheese as well. ( & that her mom would be proud of her as her mom loves pizza).  SUCCESS! She loved both pizza without the cheese AND the pizza with the cheese!  And according to her "i'm am happy!"  We were all happy!  As we eat a lot of pizza!  How did I not get a picture of this :( FAIL! 
Ed & EJ joined us for the evening.  She brought traditional snacks, coffee mugs, wine vessels, caps for the men, t-shirt for matt and necklaces for kat & I and a beautiful compact for EJ.  So thoughful!

I hope to find a balance in the arena of  time.  I don't want to overwhelm her and want to allow her the time to have the experiences she hopes to.  And I'm certain it'll all work out!  What a year this is gonna be!  I'm beyond excited!

No comments: