I've been blessed with 2 of the most amazing gifts that could ever be given to ANYone. Kathryn & Matthew. I remember thinking the first time that I held them "wow, God knows something I don't...He knows I can do this"! Over the course I've had to fight off fears. Fears of failure and the biggest fear, the fear of losing one of them. For with each gift I also knew the Giver could call them home in His time and only He knows when that is.
Before she was born I bought for our daughter a pair of baby booties and presented them to my husband. On the bottom of those shoes were these words Go Boilers! One of my next purchases was a bib with the Purdue Boilermaker Special. We had hoped that one day, she too would attend Purdue, just as her daddy did. The next 17 years have been spent not just raising her but raising a Boilermaker! February 21. 2014 she received word that she had been accepted to attend Purdue University. I can't begin to explain our excitement. So many different layers of excitement. I don't think I've gone a day without giving glory to God for her and for giving me her to raise. And I'm humbled just thinking that He trusted me (&Andy) enough to give her to us.
Many parents, moms especially are tearful as they send their children off for the first time. I'm not that parent. I was probably overly enthusiastic! I was excited for my kids to get to experience all of the first in this life. A lot of excitement as there have been many, many firsts. I feel as though I've been on a journey with my kiddos, my gifts. Thus far, it's been amazing.
When I think that there was once a time I didn't want kids it saddens me to think that I had such little faith in myself. For that's what it boiled down to. I was fearful I'd mess up the most precious thing ever...Gods child. I was fearful I would let my child down....and I have, but they still love me, so does God. I was fearful they would make the same mistakes in life that I had made, until I realized they weren't me, and their journey would be their own, not mine on repeat.
I contemplated often how to go about parenting. I had not only my own examples to choose from but others as well. And after much thought, I'm not sure I followed anyone's example. I choose to do what felt right. I prayed often seeking guidance from my Heavenly Father. According to main stream media....I'm a parenting don't! lol I can't help but laugh because really, who gets it right 100% of the time. And just when I think I have it figured out with one kid, the other one throws me for a loop and requires an entirely different parenting style. I think the most effective decision I've made with regard to this parenting gig is honesty...and conversations. I talk with my kids and have done so even before they could exchange in conversation with me. I talked with them....and not so much to them. I've shared experiences and all the consequences ....the good the bad and the ugly. So far so good, it has worked for us.
My oldest turns 18 this weekend and my boy, well he's 16 and itching to be on his own! The next few months I'll have a high school graduate, 2 kids working, one moving into her dorm, and an altered home profile as we'll go from 4 to 3 for much of the year. Life is forever changing. Dreams are becoming a reality. I remain incredibly humbled that I've been given 2 amazing kiddos! Blessed with a partner on this journey who chooses me daily, and is an amazing example of a father, husband for our kids.
Our journey is continuing.... I'm excited to have a college freshman, excited for my boy to drive, excited for how these little milestones in their lives will enhance who they are, add to their personalities, maturity, etc.... I'm excited to see what it will be like to be 3 for a majority of the time in our home. Excited to see how that will effect our relationship with the boy. Bottom line, It's an exciting time. I know the future isn't guaranteed but for the days God blesses us with I'm certain they will be amazing.
And as an aside for my kids..... don't forget to thank God for each day. Thank Him for the people who He as brought into your life. Thank Him for the blessings that each day brings. Thank Him for the storms and for bringing you through them. ....I too will thank Him for all of those things but mostly I'll thank Him for YOU!


No comments:
Post a Comment