Thursday April 1....APRIL FOOLS DAY! A fun & beautiful day. Today is suppose to reach a record high in Indiana! 82 degrees...ahhhhh. How sweet it is!
We're in the final stages of the school year hip hip hooray! I've been thinking about all of my frustrations ....for 4 years as a full time employee at the jr. high I really had to filter myself....(HA!) and believe me, all though still out spoken I did filter! So much so I had to be put on blood pressure med. Well I'm no longer an employee of the system, I'm a mom whose kids are in the system. Given they are students there they are subject to many of the issues I struggled with as an employee. FINALLY, Kate found a voice and stood up for herself.
I find it interesting that respect needs to be taught. I've always thought that the best way to teach something was by example. It's sad that the example isn't being set. Is there an unwritten or written perhaps, rule that states children are not deserving of respect but should dish it out? Not in any of the books I read. My favorite book tells us that "the children shall lead them". (BIBLE)
Generation-ally speaking society has cast aside respect for rudeness, curtness, selfishness, judgment. What happened to killing them with kindness. Treating others the way you want to be treated. These are characteristics that cross generation lines. You can be nice to both young & old. Should you choose to not be nice then don't be shocked when you're not treated kindly.
In my opinion so many teachers have disconnected themselves from the caring aspect of child development. Having worked at the middle school level I had concerns about the adult examples that my child was exposed to, her instructors, mentors if you will. How sad. Myself as well as the students because they too were present at times witnessed whispering about other students, degrading of a students in front of the entire class, disrespectful tones being used from teacher to student, and repeated unwillingness on the part of the instructor to assist when questions came up, or provide further explanation when needed by the student. UGH!
Now...not all teachers are guilty. Not all fit the above description but it only takes one to make an impression. You call a child a cheater ...written at top of paper enough times and he'll soon believe you. Where does that rank in the realm of esteem boosting, empowering, encouraging,...educating? You call a child a "liar" enough times perhaps they'll become one. You refuse to assist them in learning enough times and eventually they'll stop doing any thing in your classroom. Why should they...when you're not holding up your end of the deal as an educator? It's not rocket science people. It's not baby sitting. You chose the profession...if you're burnt out get out. Do the kids a favor. Reevaluate why you do what you do, go be happy & rediscover your passion because if you remain you're killing the passion of many who pass through your door. These kids are impressionable and behaviors being exhibited by many educators are NOT impressive.
Adults....kids are people too. They're learning from us. If we respect them they'll respect us. If we encourage them, believe in them, they'll step up to the plate time & time again even if they strike out! But if we tell them how poorly they did while taking a swing the odds of them taking another swing are not good. We need to help them to develop their swing. It's when they are children that they will swing & miss, they'll have strike outs, but they'll also have a few base hits & RBIs and if taught well, encourage to practice & reach for the stars they just might hit it out of the ball park!
That's all for today...just had to blog :)


2 comments:
Amen! When Alec was just 3 I had to explain to him that all of life wasn't fair and not every adult in his life would love him like I do. He had a teacher call him a "cry baby" after he was hurt! (Did I mention that he was THREE???) Since then, I've been lucky to string enough pennies together each month to keep him in a Christian environment for school. Now, the teachers aren't perfect there either, but I'm confident he's learning more about respect at St. Pius than he would at IPS 55... Love the blog Kel! (Jill)
Marion is accepting new students.
Post a Comment