Saturday, July 10, 2010

reality....harsh at times yet also refreshing

So, while riding with my daughter last night she commented on a photo she had seen of her "crush" and a girl. Out of the blue she says "if that's the kind of girl he is interested in i'm better off with him not liking me because i am nothing like her." The reality here...sometimes the things we want so much are not quite what we would've hoped for. That is the sad part. The refreshing part is her realizing that compromising who you are, the values & morals you cherish are not options that can be altered. At the age of 14 she has far more wisdom than I ever did. (thank God!)

I wouldn't begin to brag about my parenting abilities but there have been times when either of my kids will make random comments on or about observations they have made of life around them and I think to myself "Praise be to God...they've got it!" Sometimes I've been left wondering if I've been to "open" with my past, thoughts, trials/tribulations, opinions etc.... But knowing how inquisitive kids/teens are I decided early on that I was going to provided as much fact and information as possible. Thought process....at least they're armed w/ the necessary knowledge and can make decisions in a somewhat educated manner. This method has been painful at times as I've had to fess up about my own mistakes, faults, and what have you. I think it's a mirror many adults don't look into when handing out the "rules" for their children. I took a risk allowing ME to be seen. I'm not a perfect mom, I wasn't a perfect daughter, girlfriend, wife, employee, etc...I am full of faults. I've made awful mistakes. I've lied, I've hurt people, I've been selfish, self-centered and mean. But those things don't define who I am or who I was. It's life.

Concerned that I'd been too open I asked my daughter about her thoughts on my choice to be "open"...her response: "oh, no! I'm glad you've been so honest. You made some really stupid choices and no way am I gonna be that dumb!" (woo hoo!!!!) Mission accomplished! She also reminded me she was glad I was her mom & was just the way I was. Nice! The reality, raising kids is hard. Being real with ourselves and our children at times just adds to the difficulty of it all. The upside, (IMO) honesty, the good, bad & ugly of it all can go a long way. Especially in being relate-able to kids.

Reality, I've got 2 great kids. Neither them or myself is perfect but I'm yet to meet anyone in this life who is. We are however works of God and as the saying goes "He's not fished with us yet".

No comments: