Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A day of firsts...

Kinda a big day for the Van Ness house. Tonight at 6pm our boy Matthew will take the field for his first football game. Well, his first real football game. Until now it's been league play. You have to understand how much I love love love this game to fully understand my excitement. I'm excited to watch him, cheer for him, and all that goes with it. I am also deep down a bit worried. Someone is gonna try to knock my boy down. The potential for injury is there and far greater than it is if he were to be home on the couch. Lately I've seen in him a "stick-to-it-tiveness" that I've not seen before from him in sports and I admire that. I hope when he takes the field with his team tonight he feels and senses all that is happening. The sense of teamwork, school pride, awe, and hard work. I hope he savors the sounds of the crowd, cheerleaders, coaches and crunching pads. More importantly I hope he has fun! I hope he get's fired up and develops a fire in his belly for something. And like any mom I hope he doesn't get hurt. I kinda wish he could ride to the game with Kate and I because without a doubt she'd get his ire up and the good Lord would have to have mercy on him. So here's to my little Eagle who's growing up! Good luck, Have fun, & leave it all on the field.

Well, it's another 90 degree day here in Swayzee IN! ...ick. got in my 2mi walk, grocery shopping done and invites printed and addressed. Yay!

Today's walk was a good one. There were different people on the trail today. One in particular made me laugh out loud. Of course she wasn't all that funny but there's a little game I like to play to make life interesting, for me really, and I call it "what's the story?". This lady was on her bike today and passed us a couple of times. Now allow me to clarify, she wasn't lapping us, she was just passing us...repeatedly. Because with every man that passed her on her bike she would have to stop and converse. "...Hussy" ...not really that's just the story I gave her. Keep in mind I have an ornery sense of humor. I'm sure she not a all a hussy rather probably a very nice lady. What makes this funny to me is well, she's about 75+ years old. After repeated stops along the trail visiting with the men out for their walks she was approaching the end and sure enough 2 obstacles stood in her way...the last 2 men on the trail. I have to give her props, she hankered down all streamline like, rounded the corner and headed back in the direction from which she came. I didn't stick around to see but wonder if she was able to just bike on passed those who stopped her the first time around.

Well...a bit sleepy, so ta ta for now.

No comments: