Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A season for thanks...

So many on facebook have been listing the things they are thankful for daily as we approach the big holiday for giving thanks. It's been uplifting to read all the blessings in peoples lives and even to share my own. All the while there are those who struggle to find something to be thankful for or to have a spirit of thanks. I myself lift up those people. I can't imagine the emptiness they must suffer from to be alive...today...and struggle to give thanks.

As I've gotten older I've learned to STOP and look for the blessing in every...EVERY situation. That means the good, bad & ugly ones too. I have to remind myself that there is reason behind all that happens and that I am to be faithful in all that takes place. I've learned to give thanks when my kids don't mind...for I've been blessed with them. I've learned to give thanks when doing laundry...because if nothing else I've got a sweet washer & dryer. I've learned to give thanks for my shedding dog and my broken sweeper because one loves me unconditionally and the other...well once repaired will allow me to sweep my rugs that cover the floor in my house that keeps me warm and is full of all that is my family.

During the holidays as a mom most of us want everything 'just right'. The right decorations, the right appearance of our home, the right table setting, the right menu, the right clothes, etc... And the list goes on & on. I have been oh so humbled and through a combination of upbringing and my own domestic challenges have come to realize it's not about appearances, table settings, food, clothing, or gifts for that matter. It's about the family, the time, the laughter, the memories made. It's about the blessings God has so carefully crafted together in our lives. It's about Him and what He has done...for us. It's about giving thanks to a Heavenly Father for ALL the things - Blessings in our lives.

He tells us in scripture we're not to worry yet so many allow themselves to do just that. And over "stuff".

This holiday season I hope you can enjoy your blessings...'as is'. Do what you can and not worry about what doesn't happen. Enjoy those your with and reminisce about those who are not in attendance. Enjoy the moment, the memory being made because odds are it's the time, laughter, activity & conversation that will be most remembered and NOT the appearance of your surroundings or the food rather the time together.

Have a Blessed week before the official kick off of the Holiday season. This year...Chillax & enjoy! And feel blessed because you are!

No comments: