good morning! I am having flash backs to my childhood when you went to bat for a cause re: the school(s) and what you & your group of women/men thought of how things were being ran! lol I've got a fire burning in my belly over some issues and am trying to figure out the best course of action. All the talk of bullying in schools and sadly I tend to see it at every level. Life truly is a classroom. Parents are afraid to speak out for fear of repercussions toward their child. Only one on one meetings (if any) are all that seem to be held re: concerns because parents are viewed as a "lynch mob" when they don't agree with what is happening. Or meetings are avoided all together. The approach of 'if we don't acknowledge it then it certainly isn't a valid concern/problem', well - I just don't get it.
You know me, I question things until they make sense. It's not that I don't think rules/policies have a place, they certainly do but there are times when further explanation is needed/necessary. The whole "because I said so" mentality has never seemed to work for me or be a reasonable response. Pretty sure that response wouldn't fly if it was from the mouth of a student.
I think it's unfortunate how much has changed over the years. And that's something coming from me because you know I love change and often welcome it. But not all change is good. And when current employees, retiree's, and current & former board members all in separate conversations (they initiated!) echo the same sentiment "good 'ole boys club" & "decisions coming from local church" it's concerning. And I can't help but wonder what to do .....seriously it's become the communities "elephant in the room", everyone sees it but no one wants to address it. Adults are talking, students are talking ....but most feel as though it's a lost cause.
I wish I had the answer. I wish I felt like our voices would be heard. I did my part at the polls...only to hear board members comment "i thought i'd be able to make a difference....only to realize i cannot". So, with that...now what? A little Irony, my last few months employed 2 administrators commented to me that if they received 3 reports of negative behavior they had to consider it a pattern....eveidentially that doesn't apply to administration, rather only to those who need to be controlled or kept in check! I feel certain there have been more than 3 complains similar in nature levied. It's all disheartening to say the least.
On the up side, I'm pleased with most of the kids' classroom teachers & experiences. Team that with a pretty decent community & over all it's all good. I am thankful I've been able to keep it real with my kids and they've been able to identify and adjust to concerns. After all a spade is a spade.
Oh how I'd love to hear your advice on all of this. At least that which you'd offer up while you still had your 'fight' in you! For now I am prayerful.
....oh the lessons learned and yet to be learned. I love you momma & miss you much. Glad to still be able to talk to you though! Hoping God has deemed you an Angel and assigned you my family & children. Tell grandma & grandpa I love & miss them too! Gigner said she was able to see you cartwheel through the pearly gates! ...I'm just a bit jealous!
talk to you later....I know you do!


No comments:
Post a Comment