I saw a quote this morning on Pinterest "The master has failed more times than the beginner has ever tried." I love that. As the mom of a young man who has battled being discouraged and remaining encouraged when it comes to sports I find this quote just hits the spot. I've talked until I've been blue in the face trying to encourage him and would've loved to have come across this earlier.
It's a funny thing, parenting. I never really thought I wanted to be a parent. Not 100% sure why I felt that way but I did. Perhaps I felt unequipped. Perhaps I worried that I'd be alone and parenting alone didn't interest me at all. Most likely I was worried I'd have a "me". No matter, I'm a parent of 2 amazing kids who entered my life at just the right time. (a God thing)
I'm not quite sure what anyone thinks of my parenting style, or lack there of. And I'm pretty sure I don't care. I always hesitate to give any parenting advice. No two kids are the same. No two families have the same dynamic or set of circumstances. And pretty much the unsolicited parenting advice that is usually given, in my opinion, is an opinion. And well, my dad had a saying about opinions....I tend to live by that when they're offered up unsolicited.
I have to credit my kiddos for my parenting style. Kathryn has been easy peasy really. I was and still am brutally honest with her regarding most every aspect in life. My life included. I'm pretty sure I scared her!
My son was a bit of a different story. Not difficult really but more of an eye opener. I had a phone call from one of his 6th grade teachers who was appalled by my sons attitude regarding school, school work, etc.... In complete exasperation she informed me that when asked whether or not 6th grade mattered to him he responded "Well, not really. It's only 180 days of my life and in the big scheme of things it wasn't that big of a deal." Well, you can only imagine how that statement went over. It was in that moment that I realized really that life, our take on it, reaction to it, really is just a matter of perspective. And each and everyone of us has a different perspective on life and how it affects each one of us. I guarantee no two perspectives are the same, nor should they be.
Taking a page from my own book, and knowing what I know about people: kids, tweens, teens, young adults ..... & so on, I shared with my kids, often repeatedly, those things that are important in life. Be all in. Be real. Be kind. Be prayerful, faithful. I shared with them when I was proud as well as disappointed and the reason behind both. I cheered probably way too loud. And at times fought quite loudly as well....for what was right.
The parenting gig is tricky at times but for sure the most rewarding thing I've ever done and I'm no where near done, yay! The only assessment of this "job" that tells me I'm (we're) doing 'ok' is that my kiddos enjoy being at home with mom and dad. They bring their friends as well, they talk to us, and like to just chill. We've yet to run them off. The look forward to their futures, talk of families of their own and being near to family.
I've been given two gifts. Two blessings....God trusted me. If He's for me who could ever be against me.


No comments:
Post a Comment