Well, over the course of 24 hours my little, lovable, dimple cheeked, curly head boy has really tested my patience. And through it all I was reminded of a few things. 1- things happen for a reason. 2- Sometimes when we're the most unlovable is when we need love the most. (thanks Matt B. & Linda S.) After missing school on Monday, Tuesday came and what I knew would happen did. My son came out of the building totally overwhelmed. Not only did he have makeup work, but he had Tuesdays assignments as well AND football practice! The kicker and possibly the reason for all the dramatics last night...I wouldn't be at home for I work Tuesday evenings. I looked over the homework and it was all very manageable really. At least in the eyes of a 44 year old. But it was cause for total mayhem for the 12 year old.
After spending some time in the house he decided he'd seize the opportunity to do a little 4-wheel riding. When asked by his father if the homework was done he said "yep"! And off he went. Some time later he arrived at the Chuck and asked for my keys. I asked why he was on his 4-wheeler, and if his homework was done and he said "yep!". Hummmmm....Really??? (convo in my head) because ALL homework had been in my car, locked since after school. And he was JUST NOW asking for my keys ...obviously to get it. Needless to say a parent was hoodwinked and a little boy was feeling a bit successful! thinking his "little white lie" had worked. But I was onto him. (been there done that sort of thing and this kid is a mini-me)
This morning he was trying to "understand" why I couldn't take him to school? (he & kate ride w/ a neighbor) And he let me know he thought it was ridiculous for him to have to go with someone else when I could take him. Well...after enough dilly dallying he succeeded in missing his ride thus getting his way...and off we went. oooooooo!
I kept looking over at him all the way to the school and there he sat, through the lecture and all with a cute little grin on his face. Success was his!
As I walked my 2mi and vented about the past 24 hours it all became clear to me. He wanted MY TIME! MY ATTENTION! And it really didn't matter to him how he got it.
He didn't feel good about the lie. He doesn't like that it affects the way I react to him. He doesn't like that I feel like he can't be trusted. I remember feeling the same way at his age. Now to figure out how to handle it all. (the tough part of parenting)
Love them the most especially when the things they do are unlovable. This is one of those live and learn moments. One of many and certainly more to come. This is a time when I need to carefully choose my words, and course of action because this little guy is on high alert! Loved yet grounded. Loved in spite of the lie. Loved loved loved and it's gonna be my time, time, time that conveys that message to him.
Now that all that's past time to move on! Gorgeous day out! yet humid. Thank you to those who read and commented yesterdays post. (& previous post) I enjoy your feedback. As stated at the top of my blog I ramble, vent, and post my opinions and hope to do so with out being hurtful. Many times this is a place where I can get "it" out of my head, heart and be done with "it". (it's very therapeutic)
I've discovered one thing about me, I try to be "the one". Now what that "one" is or looks like is different given the situation. I tend to be the cheerleader for the underdog. I love to smile. Simple I know but often a smile can change ones outlook. I hope to give a little encouragement because I never know how someone is feeling. I decided long ago when I started substitute teaching that I wanted to be the one that hopefully contributed to a student having a good day. Society and this world can be so quick to bring people down. I wanted to be the one to lift them up! Even if just for a moment. So, here's a smile to you today...try it on. God has great plans for you today!


No comments:
Post a Comment