Tuesday, August 24, 2010

feel good religion (170)

My question today is this, What's wrong with a little "feel good" religion? I've heard this term tossed about a time or two and it always seems to come with a frown, a tone, a sense of the unacceptable. And I've always been puzzled by the negative connotation. Which has led me to ponder other questions such as, should religion NOT make us feel good? And since when is feeling good a bad thing?

Many times the church has been referred to as a hospital for the sick. Now I don't know about you but when I am sick and go to the hospital I'm hoping that as a result of my visit to the hospital I'll eventually feel good. Often it's a process as the healing takes time. But during my time there the people on staff do all they can to make me feel good. So much so there's even a survey waiting on me in my mailbox when I get home. I feel it's okay if the church (hospital)and the pastors("staff") operate the same way. Like a visit to the doctor there are times when we are given bad news or our test results are less than desirable in the church I liken this to the hellfire and brimstone sermons or perhaps tithing (tee hee hee). But regardless of the prognosis the goal is to make me well, make me comfortable, make me feel good.

When I think about people who are home bound who tune into the TV evangelist, preacher I guessing they tuned in for some sort of healing. Weather they're fully aware or not what or why they've decided to tune in to hear a message, they tuned in. They sought to hear the word of God, perhaps with hope of feeling good. Now you or I may not care for the delivery or messanger but what we need to be thankful for is the delivery of the Message. We need to be prayerful that the recipient of the Message will find healing in God and accept Him as their own.

So weather you tune in on Sunday morning for a little TV feel good religion or you load up and go in seek of a new church or stick with "your" church I think we'd all have to agree we're all in search of a little "feel good" religion. For like you I too am sick and am in need of healing.


If I've done my math properly(MG grad here so don't count on it) 170 days remain in this school year. But who's counting? ME ME ME!!! (lol) So far so good really. Matt has experienced a few mental errors in math but we've discussed them and when he realized if he had PAID ATTENTION he would have received an 9/10 v. the 5/10. If only huh? Hopefully next time. Lesson learned perhaps? Hope so. I read some of his journals from the 1st week of school and I must say I shed a tear. Wow is that boy insightful! Beyond his years really. Kathryn too is doing well. She has really stepped up her initiative this year. ('bout time) I'm excited for her and so admire her determination.

I didn't get to walk this morning as I'm home waiting for andy to received a delivery. ( & blogging & doing laundry) Work tonight. :) I like my job. Hard to call it a job really as I work for friends and get to serve some of the kindest people I've ever met. I read somewhere recently that 'if you find yourself working in the food industry your life has taken a wrong turn somewhere.' I'd have to say I disagree with this statement. This is where I need to be at this time. I don't know all the reasons why but I do have a suspicion as to what the possibilities are. And I'm down with that! If there's one thing I've figured out is that God puts me where He wants me. I'm down with that too. His plan is far better than any I could come up with on my own.

The phone call...well, I made it, and the phone line was down. I find that kinda funny. Courtesy of cellular technology I was able to get a message to my mom that I was trying to contact her and also received word that she was "fine". Then at 10pm my phone rang and as expected she let me know how long it had been since she had heard from me (she was off by a day) and that she supposed she had been "ok" since I hadn't bothered to check. (answer to another prayer)

Some pretty special kids embarked on their college careers yesterday! Upon hearing from 3/4 all went well. Talked to the mom of the 4th & she's doing well too. (yay!)

Prayer list for today: Kids & young adults and those educating them; adoptions; those with cancer and extended illnesses; families. Please join me in lifting up these concerns. I suspect you too know someone listed above.

It's a beautiful day folks...Thanks for reading, now go & enjoy a loved one!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy "feel good" religion. Honestly, that's what I like best!! A preacher who is dynamic! It's dissapointing when you don't have that type of pastor. BUT, I also know that it isn't about ME- it's about GOD!!! Good subject today!!
Karen H.

Anonymous said...

I hope I'm not being anyway out of line, but I've got a comment. ;) Feel Good religion? I personally have never experienced this. I went to a catholic school from the time I was in Kindergarten until 4th grade. We went to Mass every Monday and Wednesday. I always asked God for some sort of sign, that he was "real". Now as an adult I think of how silly that was I suppose. I never got a sign. Well until my Uncle died. Ha. Definitely wasn't the sign I was looking for. Then when I was in 7th and 8th grade I went to church every Sunday, Monday and Wednesday. I attended a Youth concert of some sort and the kids were all getting "saved". Wanting to fit in I decided I would do the same. I wasn't too sure what being "saved" really meant but I went along with it. I didn't feel any different afterwards. Now, again as an adult, I look back and know it wasn't a feeling I was going to get. It was something to strive for and learn about in order to understand. Then people at the church found out I was gay. End of all that! I wasn't excepted or encouraged to come anymore. I guess my point of all this rambling is, I don't feel I've ever been somewhere more fake or judgmental than a church. Well maybe high school. Now as an adult, I don't feel like church or God are something that want me in their presence. I know I am not educated on a lot as far as it all goes, but its disappointing to me that some people can be so unaccepting of others and how they are created. And I guess I don't really know what my point was but I guess I'm just throwing it out there. I don't feel like being gay is a choice I've made, the only choice I've made is to be happy and be true to myself... I'm rambling. And I hope I have not offended you or anyone reading this. I guess I just felt the need to comment. Feel Good Religion might be something I would be interested in. Where can I find it? Randi

kelly van ness said...

Randi, You've obviously had what I would call unfortunate situations. And sadly attitudes like some of the ones you've experienced are NOT what Christianity is about. God knew you before you were born. When you were in the womb! He knows your story whether you do or not. It's all ready been written. Ultimately what He, God wants is a relationship with you. And He wants you to want Him, to seek him. Being gay doesn't define you just like my being "straight" doesn't define me. Your choices are yours for your ownership and the only judge you should ever concern your self with IS NOT currently walking this earth! For he is risen.
Christianity is about a relationship with the risen savior, accepting him as your redeemer. It doesn't happen over night, it doesn't make life her perfect. What it does do is call you to continue to seek, develop a relationship with the One Risen Savior. It frustrates me too that so many "Christians" feel the need to judge, shun, etc...THIS IS NOT WHAT BEING A BELIEVER IS ABOUT and certainly not what Christ would have us do.
We are all sinners....in some way, shape or form. We are call to hate the sin but love the sinner! That is you & me. (regardless of what the sin may be) We are not called to judge.
I hate that you've had negative experiences. And have to wonder if everyone knew ALL about each other (me included) if the outlook would be different...probably so. Sad yes, but again I don't let those small minds get in the way of the promise of Life Eternal with my Heavenly Father. He wants a relationship with me. I'm His and His alone.
I would encourage you to continue to seek Him. To begin to trust in Him, have faith in Him. People in this world will let you down. He will bring you through ANYthing that comes your way. I can testify as i've been in the depths and it's been by His grace, mercy, and love that I've been blessed.
He will lead you to where you need to be. You'll find your self surrounded by those who will love and support you. Be open to and seek His blessing and it will be yours. All you have to do is ask. It's a promise!
...Love ya kid!