Tuesday, October 19, 2010

it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood...well it was

Neighborhoods are funny little areas. And they vary so greatly. I grew up in a neighborhood what was riddled with family. You couldn't walk a block in any direction for what you didn't run into a cousin, aunt, grand or great. It was kinda cool but I often found myself playing in a neighborhood other than the one i grew up in. After college I lived in an apartment complex. You know the kind where hallways are shared and folks are right on top of one another. I don't remember ever running into the other inhabitants of the building nor do I ever remember having an issue with them. Ironic since the space was shared. Perhaps it was just our age. We were mostly 20 somethings who led busy lives and minded our own business. Once married we moved to a quaint little town, Amboy and joked that we were the "new blood" in town. As we got to know our neighbors and other town folk it was as though they were all related somewhere down the line. However, many towns could take a lesson from that one on what it is to be neighborly, caring, and proud. We were outsiders if you will but were welcomed on Christmas morning to the neighbors for their traditional pancake breakfast. We went. And was pleasantly surprised when upon arrival we saw many other neighbors/town folk in attendance. It was an awesome Christmas morn. After living in Amboy for 8 years we moved into Andy's grandmas house in Swayzee. Ahhh Swayzee.

You ever heard people say "careful what you wish for?". Well, while living in Amboy I wished for a bigger house. I got it when we moved. With it came a ton of fixing up that is not yet finished and has been somewhat costly. And unfortunately gone are the neighbors and town folk of Amboy. My first exposure to the neighbors** came with the passing of Emma Ruth and the fulfillment of her wishes. She wanted neighbors to have something, a dish perhaps. As the family sorted through the many antiques in preparation for the sale the kids set aside some pieces for the neighbors to choose from. They gathered to make their selections and believe it or not some were ticked because they had seen pieces in her home that were not a part of the offering. They put in their request for particular pieces and when they were told they were a part of the sale they left disgruntled and empty handed. Really? This was my first impression.

The events of my first year as a resident in our old family home didn't endear many who live around me to me. Complaints about my children playing out doors and being too loud, opinions about the remodel and it's necessity, complaints about INTERIOR paint colors, questions about just how much new furniture was necessary, issues with the addition of pets, disapproval of the deterioration of the front porch - which is in dire need of repair, complaint regarding the tree planted by my grandfather-in-law which had been growing since it had been planted as a seedling, brought back from a trip out east to visit his son - "it's ugly", complaints that my husband walks around the house without his shirt on, threatening letters in the mail concerning our property. I could go on and on and that is sad.

We are living in a house that is over 100 years old. We are, ourselves redoing electricity, plumbing, bathrooms, kitchen, floors, windows, porch, and have aesthetically redone many rooms that will ultimately have to be redone again once the major remodeling is complete. We have fenced in the yard 1/2 privacy and 1/2 picket to assist with the animal issue. However, one of our animals is Houdini and can find his way out of ANYTHING. It's an ongoing problem we are desperately trying to solve. With that said, poop happens and careful where you walk...even in your own yard because be it my dog or someone else you just might step in it. As far as the "neighbors complaining", well...I don't really care.

"I don't really care" isn't the best of attitudes but it's one that has come about due to my location, situation, and circumstance. I don't really go out of my house except to leave this place. I work in town and enjoy that time. Other than that I keep to myself. I inquired once early on with the town clerk about the "unfriendly" vibe I got from the town and she said it was the neighborhood. Her sentiments were shared a time or two in granny's own accounts in her journals. I don't really care what the neighbors think. Perhaps it would be different if there were more at stake ie: friendships but that's not so much the case thus my attitude.

We are a work in progress, we are a mess, we are busy, we are not busy bodies. We were once good neighbors and now long to just be void of neighbors altogether. Perhaps someday. Until then I'll make due where I am. As I once told my pastor when asked how the neighbors were I said they were drawing me near to my God. I've said many times He has a plan and I am where I am for the time because it's where He needs me to be. So here I am, in the neighborhood, in my house, while my existence and that of my animals reek havoc on those around us.

**not all residing in close proximity of my house fall into this category. You I am grateful for.

No comments: