So it's been 15 years since I said "I do". I barely remember the day. The attendance was family only and very limited family at that. My father had to cut his vacation short to attend so he could walk me down the isle. My oldest friend was my matron of honor. I'm not sure who stood with Andy. His brother Sam sang, In This Very Room...I didn't get to hear it. I took the walk down the isle unable to look my groom in the eye for too long. When we joined hands I took a look out at those who had came...they were crying. We said our I do's and that was that. That's how I remember my wedding day. I was pregnant, a divorcee and this was not the wedding of choice for Andy.
A month before we were married we attended the wedding of some friends of ours. It was beautiful. That wedding was everything a wedding should be. Full of laughter, joy, celebration and anticipation for the life journey that lay ahead. We were enjoying ourselves at the reception when on of Andy's friends approached me and let me know that the only reason he'd marry me was if I had "something" on him. I didn't know what to think. Andy is a stand up guy and all but also one to do what he wants and for that matter NOT do something he doesn't want to do. However like words do this comment resonated with me for some time.
I don't remember much of our reception but do recall enjoying the car ride to the bed and breakfast for our honeymoon. I enjoyed the conversation that took place. I enjoyed looking over at him and the knowing he was there. And that's how it's been ever since.
I still to this day don't feel deserving of him, his time, or his love but feel blessed that he gives it. I still wonder 'what if'...for him. And I give thanks daily that we have the relationship we do. It's not what movies are made of or romance novels but it works.
Our love has grown. As has the respect and the friendship. He's my best friend. He loves me 'as is' and for that I am thankful. 15 years in this day is quite a fete. I've enjoyed the ride and look forward to many more years that I can look over and see him driving and know he is there.
Happy Anniversary Andy. I love you.
14 years ago i would've celebrated my 1st wedding anniversary. instead we buried andy's grandpa and mourned the loss of his uncle and cousin. one day - and lives were changed forever. so many things about that day stand out in my memory. but the one that has never left me is the way aunt peggy reacted to the news. she had just laid to rest her father and received word later in the day that her husband, sparky and daughter sarah had been killed in an automobile accident returning home after the funeral dinner. in that moment i witnessed Gods amazing grace. in that very moment my faith was transformed. in that moment life was put in perspective. they are missed. life has gone on but lives have never been the same. RIP Sparky, Sarah, and Grandpa Anderson.


No comments:
Post a Comment