I do & then think. As a result there have been many times I've seconded guessed myself or have allowed others to cause me to doubt my parenting. There have been times as a parent I've been flustered and annoyed, concerned, and wondered IF/WHEN my kids would get it. And then...
...my daughter says to me "mom, i miss my best friend". I ask who she's texting and she tells me and it's the ex-best friend. When I suggest they make a plan she declines inviting her. Puzzled I ask why? and she replies "because I know how I felt when *B set out to make her HER friend and come between us, and I don't want *M to ever feel that way. She knows I miss her and that will just have to be enough, the text messages that is."
& then this...
..."mom if I don't get asked to the valentine dance is it ok with you if I ask *X to go with me? " me, "sure, why?" Kate, "because, I know what it feels like to feel like you're never gonna be wanted or asked out, and it's a terrible feeling and I would hate for him to feel that way, when we could go together as friends"
And then today on the way home from school today my son shared this: '"some one told me today I smile too much. I'm always smiling and asked me why? And it got me thinking....I smile because I'm happy. You know mom how the *D family seems all together, you know sanded on the edges? Nice house, clothes, good athletes, organized lockers and all and normal family? and We're all crazy, frazzled and messed up house and I'm not organized and not the best athlete....well, it dawned on me...I like my life and am happy. I like that you and dad are nuts and we're crazy and I like being home ....I'm just happy and we're FAR from perfect. I wouldn't change it. And I feel bad that my classmates find it odd that I smile when to look at them they would appear to have more of a reason to smile than I do" "I'm just happy with our life".'
Aahhhh! somewhere along the line...Andy & I did good! We didn't do it alone, have to thank our church family, and family...we've all done good! :) PTL!



No comments:
Post a Comment