One of the things I always ask God for is to remember things that have happened to me in the past. And time and time again He has reveled Himself to me by answering my prayer request. The funny thing is in the moment we don't always know how words, people, situations will ultimately affect our life. Many times I've found myself replaying in my mind words that were spoken. Many times I've been overly aware of what is going on around me. And many times I've been privy to information that at the time I wondered WHY?
Years ago as I was going through my divorce from my first husband I was attending church with some friends of mine at the Converse Church of Christ. I drove all the way from Fairmount to attend with them. Because of the distance I worshiped with people I didn't really know. It was fine with me that I didn't know them I knew my friends and the pastor had reached out to me. One Sunday sermon in particular stood out to me. The pastor had asked a member of his congregation to join him at the front. This person was to be an unwed mother. And he called up on the congregation to support her choice to be an unwed mother. Reminding us we were all part of the family/body of Christ and we're to be there for each other. Also reminding each of us that no one in there was with out sin.
Fast forward to summer of 2010 july 3rd. I invited my friend and her kids to join me at my mothers house for a cookout and fireworks. Usually we only see each other at sporting events for her son. It was a great time to be with her and the kids and to get to know her a bit better. I first came to know her children, her oldest son in particular who when he was in jr. high had tutorial with me. When he went on to HS his sister also had tutorial with me. Although discouraged by the school, this family became very special to me. They welcomed me into their life as we did them into ours. I had been warned many times to not fraternize with my students and their families. However this was one rule I just couldn't obey.
So, back to july 3rd 2010...my friend and I were talking about church, sermons, moments, God sightings etc...I was sharing with her moving times I had experienced while in attendance at the CCC and what a wonderful pastor I thought pastor Wheeler was. As we were having our discussion my mind went back to the sermon mentioned above about the single mother, her choice to raise her children and the call to the congregation to support and lift up her and her children as they grow in the body of Christ.
And now for the God moment....my friend was that lady and her children were those we were called to love, support, and lift up. I was there that day, sitting up stairs in a pew, unnoticed yet touched, an outsider to a community that I only ventured into on Sunday mornings. But I was there. I heard the pastors words, I sensed the fear and anxiety in the mother and even sensed some shame among the congregation. I never heard a name and didn't really focus on what the young lady looked like because through my own tears she was a blur.
Since that day that sermon stuck. I became a parent myself. I became a part of the Oak Hill community. And by the grace of God I was put where I needed to be. I became connected to this family. They are like my own. God knew all along. He had me right where He needed me. I love when He does that!


1 comment:
I must add the the Knee family is Amazing and a Blessing.
And...Gods plan is bigger than the schools.
Post a Comment