So I pick up Kathryn from her 2nd day as a Freshman in high school. She gets into the car and announces to me "Hey mom, today I made a commitment to graduate!" My response "good!" She then replied "like it was an option! huh?"
This got me to thinking...(uh oh) Since when does graduating become an option? I'm gonna assume most kids when entering high school are under the impression that graduation is a must. It's the way out of High school and into the world. On to the next stage. So why? why? why? would the system that's trying to get them to that ultimate goal of achieving a high school diploma thus graduating plant a seed that another option exist. I have to wonder how many kids had a light bulb moment - I don't have to do this.
I know not every one succeeds in completing high school. I know school isn't for all. (so they think) However perhaps instead of planting the seed that it's not an option the approach is a more positive one. 720 days remain in your career as an Oak Hill Eagle. 720 days until you've completed a 12 year task and are ready to embark on the next phase in your life. 720 days and you WILL be a GRADUATE! You started on this adventure 1,620 days ago! and you're almost done.
My daughter knew graduation wasn't an option rather a step necessary in order for her to continue pursuing her dream of becoming... the best she can be.


No comments:
Post a Comment