Saturday, August 14, 2010

Saturday...Hello Weekend!

Well, week 1 back to school 2010-2011 done only 35 weeks left to go. And I must say I am a bit optimistic. What a nice feeling. The sports season opened last night also. Oak Hill Eagle football in a scrimmage against Taylor. Zach Powell had a nice 60yd reception for a TD and my boy Caleb G. tore up the field with some awesome carries. Proud of them and all the team. Cheerleaders were manning the concession stand. Great turn out and willingness to help. Thanks girls.

I had the opportunity to catch up with an old friend from Kathryn's dancing days. So enjoyed our conversation. In conversing she shared with me some concerns on her hart, so I'd like to ask for prayer for her and her family. Also, she spoke of a disappointing experience in transitioning to Oak Hill. So frustrating for them and even for me as a tax payer and parent who's involved.(much to their chagrin perhaps) Here's the thing...RULES, GUIDELINES, in place for many reasons, safety, decision making, clarity, etc.... They are expected to be followed by students, staff, parents alike. HOWEVER, it becomes difficult to take those seriously when administration bends, and alters them. What's not okay for most/some becomes an exception for others. Really...is this the image we want? You think the left hand will never find out what the right hand is doing. You think since the decision was on the DL that it will remain. Come on! This is the kind of underhanded decision making that has given Oak Hill a negative image to many within this community and outside of it. If special exceptions are going to be made than every request to transfer should be considered as a special request. Now some will say it is however if we accept some who do not meet the requirements for transfer...than where do we draw the line? Good news is the OH experience as a whole out weighs the bad. Unfortunately it the bad that leads to frustration that tends to fuel conversation. Many times I've heard parents comment it's the families and students in this community that draw them in. We have a fine school system, not with out it's flaws but undoubtedly one of the best educations in grant county. I'm glad we're Eagles. Hopefully we'll represent well.

So working the concessions was a HOT HOT job! Crazy but fun. I do enjoy helping out & being around people. Yesterday I blogged a bit about Karma. You know what goes around comes around. Now obesity isn't a laughing matter. I've suffered from it for longer than I would've liked for the last 10 years it's been a part of my make up. I remember once when subbing for geometry some girls were talking at the end of class about their weight, dieting, having babies in the future etc...and the general consensus was "I'll never get fat." "And I'm totally gonna lose all my baby weight when I have kids because there's no reason not to" This last statement really hit home with me because the young lady that said it directed it at me. In a very judgmental tone she made the statement letting me know that what I had morphed into was completely unacceptable. Fast forward 5 years. After graduating HS, marriage & 1 child she has herself morphed into what she declared she would never be. In general this young lady is not a happy go lucky type. Rather she is some what miserable. I can only imagine the personal hell she's in now. Sad really as many would think she has the world. (job, home, husband, kid) I saw her last night again...and couldn't help but want to ask her what her take on it now was. I do believe she has surpassed me. :( (karma)

Happy weekend every body! Prayers for my friend Cindy & her family & Dawn. Thanks & I'm out!

No comments: